- Accurate UML Standard Model: Strictly adheres to UML standard.
- Open Software model format: All files are managed in standard XML format.
- MDA Support
- Applicability of methodologies and platforms: Support for application framework models like .NET and Java Enterprise Edition.
- Excellent Extensibility: All functions are extensible through plugins which can be written in any COM compatible language.
- Software model verification function: Automatic verification of models, facilitating eary discovery of errors.
- Useful Add-Ins: Includes many useful add-ins. Generates code for most common programming languages, and also generates models from code.
Thursday, April 20, 2006
StarUML: Open source modeling tool
The lack of a RSA at my new job led me to search for a free modeling tool. That is how I stumbled upon StarUML. StarUML is an open source modeling tool for the Windows platform. It is sponsored by Plastic Software which is a member of OMG. StarUML comes with support for UML 2.0 and MDA (Model driven architecture). Plugins for StarUML may be written any COM compatible language. Plugins for code generation and reverse engineering applications for common programming languages (Java, C++, C# etc.) are already available. The following is a list of features available in the current release of StarUML: